Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working-age who are on a low income. It replaces six existing means-tested benefits which are also known as legacy benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit is intended to be simpler than the current system of benefits and tax credits, however many people locally have experienced a variety of problems including long waiting periods for their first payment. Universal Credit is being introduced gradually. Whether you can claim depends on your personal circumstances.

You don’t need to do anything if you are already claiming existing legacy benefits and your situation stays the same. You will be told by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) when you have to claim Universal Credit.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who may need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability. PIP has two parts – a daily living component and a mobility component. PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance for anyone making a new claim.

To be eligible for PIP you must be aged 16 to 64 years, have a long-term disability or health condition, and need help or support with daily living, or with mobility, or both. You must have needed this help or support for at least three months, and expect to need this for at least another nine months in the future.

Our team can support you to make a PIP claim as the process can take a long time due to the amount of information required.

How much PIP you receive depends on your individual circumstances but as a guide the rates are:

Daily living – standard rate. Weekly rate £57.30
Daily living – enhanced rate. Weekly rate £85.60
Mobility – standard rate. Weekly rate £22.65
Mobility – enhanced rate. Weekly rate £59.75


You can claim Attendance Allowance if you meet all the following criteria: are 65 or over (if you’re under 65, you may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment instead) could benefit from help with personal care, such as getting washed or dressed, or supervision to keep you safe during the day or night.

Similar to PIP the application is lengthy and often requires support to complete from an experienced adviser.   

How much Attendance Allowance you receive will depend on which rate you are awarded:
Lower rate – £57.30 per week
Higher Rate – £85.60 per week


Lancashire is now a full service area for Universal Credit. This means most people of working age who would like to make a new claim to Housing Benefit will need to claim the housing element of Universal Credit to help with their rent.

However you will still be able to claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You, or your partner, have reached pensionable age
  • You live in temporary accommodation provided by the Local Authority
  • You live in Supported Accommodation
  • You or your partner are in receipt of, or have been in receipt of in the last calendar month, the Severe Disability Premium in any of your current DWP benefits

We offer assistance with benefits from the first day we meet you.  If you have any questions or your benefits get stopped for any reason you must contact your Support Worker immediately. You can also complete the contact form below and we will respond within the same working day.